Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Falling for a Class???

Have you ever read (or seen) one of those dippy romance stories where the heroine meets a completely despicable character who makes her life impossible? There is always a nice, responsible man who offers a stark contrast to the loathsome creature. We all know how the story ends . . .

So, let me tell you about my 8th period class. Middle schoolers are always pleasant at the end of the day and, thanks to our block schedule, more than 40% of their time with me takes place on Friday afternoon! How can I describe them? They:
·       Talk during “quiet warm-up.”
·       Eat Cheetos when they think I am not looking.
·       Wander around the room and gather by the water-fountain.
·       Roll their eyes at me when I suggest pretty much anything.
·       Make this annoying popping noise.
·       Constantly ask to go to the bathroom.
·       Seemingly hear mostly “Wah wah wah, wah wah” when I give instructions.
·       Make a hideous mess!
My other classes seem so nice and orderly in comparison. When 8th period rolls into my classroom loudly like a pack of wild puppies, I brace myself and gather my strength to make it through the next 95 minutes.

Today, they were working in teams to clarify their understanding and communication around the idea of linear growth. The project involved cutting things out and gluing or taping them together in a way that makes sense. One boy taped his nose up to make a pig snout. Another pretended to be Edward Scissorhands with all the metal safety scissors. There were shards of paper everywhere, and I can’t even begin to describe the noise level. Some students were sitting on the floor, others were standing around tables or sitting on desks. As I walked around I noticed that their work was at least as good as my well-behaved classes, and showed their understanding in some rather creative ways. My struggling students were actively participating as their teams scaffolded tasks without my intervention. They were smiling, laughing and talking ABOUT MATH! They were actually excited to show people their work and explain their thinking!

At the end of the day they cleaned up their enormous mess (sort of) before I asked. At the sound of the bell they pushed out into the hall and ran, yelling and making that noise, away for the day. As I became immersed in the quiet that surrounded me after their departure, I noticed that someone had forgotten a shoe and that one team had turned their poster in by placing it the box that is clearly marked "Recycling."  I think they are beginning to grow on me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment